Sara Groves wrote a song that sings, “It’s a sweet, sweet thing, standing here with you and nothing to hide, Light shining down to our very insides, sharing our secrets, bearing our souls, helping each other come clean” (Different Kinds of Happy from Fireflies and Songs album). That’s how I felt at Beth Moore’s LIVE Simulcast event that our church hosted on Sat 9/18. Sisters in Christ standing together, wide open hearts for the Light of Christ to shine down deep, being honest, and bearing our souls (love that line!).
The challenge Beth gave us came from Proverbs 31:26…
“She opens her mouth in wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.”
The Law of Kindness. Just think about that. The world we live in is mean, and according to the Word it’s not going to get any nicer as time progresses. So WE (the believers and followers of Christ Jesus) are going to be God's instruments of kindness to this mean world. And secondly, let’s face it – we, as women, WILL open our mouths. It’s what we do … we talk. (Or as I like to say, verbally process :).)
What kind of things come out of our mouths? Our publications (blogs, facebook, etc.)? Emails? What other “laws” are on our tongues? How do we treat others? Do we, like the Lord commands, “love [our] enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then [our] reward will be great, and [we] will be sons of the Most High, because [we] are kind to the ungrateful and wicked.” (Luke 6:35) To the ungrateful!? Really, Lord? Yes, because He is kind to us even when we forget His lovingkindnesses. Praise his Name!
Now listen, I’m not always kind, I fall into the mean world just like everyone else. But I do know this - the kindness and love of my God appeared in a Savior, Jesus Christ (Titus 3:4). And through His indwelling Spirit, I CAN possess His attribute of kindness in my disposition to others. And if that is not enough, it is His kindness that leads me to this place of repentance (Romans 2:4). His yoke is kind, not forceful or mean. His voice is gentle. THIS is the God we serve! Hallelujah!
Let us remember the lovingkindnesses of our God … for in keeping good memory we will keep in the law of kindness being on our tongues. So here’s to a legacy of kindness- to the glory of His sweet Name, “to win as many as possible” (1 Cor. 9:19) and to “press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 3:14)
Some pictures...
*our leadership team meeting
**Me and my sweet friend, Hannah
***Wibke, Becky and Grace
2 comments:
This is a great reminder that I desperately need tonight. Thanks Lela. I just started blogging a couple of weeks ago and it has been a blessing to me to have a forum in which to share some things the Lord is teaching me. And as I'm reading yours, I'm reminded that I still have so much to learn...
This has been an extremely challenging area for me to learn, especially working around so many women in the work field, thank you for posting about this ~:o)
Post a Comment