Thursday, August 26, 2010

52 Days: Brick 2


(A picture taken on my missions trip to Africa in 2005)

I'm starting with Brick 2 because, honestly, I'm still sorting through alot of Brick 1. Hopefully there will come a day that I will write about it, but frankly 52 Days was not enough for that wall-makeover.

I picked up a second brick about midway through the series. I had started reading the book "Radical" by David Platt upon the initiative of my husband. He had found the book, read it, discussed it with a ministry brother, and been so challenged and changed by it, that he encouraged me to read it. Now, Artie doesn't recommend thing to me much, so I started the book immediately.

This book was God's tool to do a lot of things. One of which was re-opening my eyes to the WORLD that is out there! A lost world! A dying world! A world in need of love and a Savior!

I think I had gotten so isolated in my baby world that my vision had narrowed in on the task I have at hand. I have been up to my ears in pregnancy (and all that is entailed there!), newborn stuff, nursing, diapers, discipline, houes work, errands, running a home, exhaustion, and everything in between for the past 3 years+ and my perspective had gotten foggy. This book helped remind me of God's heart not only for the individual but also for the WORLD!

Having this alteration in my heart has been a blessing in my motherhood. To not get obsessed with the things of motherhood that I forget WHY I'm raising children in the first place ... to make disciples and send them out!! It helped me to let the little things be little things and to oversee my children having a Godly worldview as well. This book and the biblical challenges in it helped put the 'why' back into 'what' I'm doing. It's been an empowering tool and quite a charge.

I even went back and looked at the pictures from my last missions trip to Namibia, Africa. To remember the world work God gave me a glimpse of during my stay there was so uplifting. I would love to go back there one day and see the furtherance of God's Kingdom yet again.

But as for now, the day-in day-out priority mission for me is right here in my kitchen, back yard, neighborhood sidewalks, grocery store and of course my church. (And also around the word! I'm hoping to go on a mission trip sometime in the next year.) I'm grateful for this fresh perspective on the Kingdom of God as a whole. Thank you Lord for opening my eyes and keeping me inspired!

3 comments:

Amber said...

I just started reading Radical last night!!!!!! I am excited as we have also started the "Truth Project" in our small group. I know I need my eyes re-opened to the world, as I too feel I have lost that view with becoming a mother. Thanks for sharing Lela!!! Keep the posts coming when you have time. I enjoy them.

Carolina said...

Thanks for sharing your heart Lela! I have been looking for an update on your posts, not sure how I missed this one earlier. But I'm so glad you're continuing to blog! What a great reminder that sometimes our calling is right at home and in the routine of everyday life. But thanks for the reminder that we are doing all of this for Him! Love you and hope you have a great time in Anna Maria!

Anonymous said...

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1). You have been exactly where you've needed to be the past few years. I have looked forward to the day that God would reel you into active ministry again. It will of course look different than it ever did before the boys were born, especially as your family continues to grow too. God has a special calling on your children as well. The best way to teach them is by example, by your actions. I look forward to seeing how God continues to infuse and lead you!